Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Is It Only Me That Want a Candy Bar Phone?


This past weekend my wifey and I were at Best Buy and I saw something that was kind of dishearting...no candy bar(or I call them block or 1 piece) phones. Everything is flip phone now. I think the only candy bar phones I see now are Smartphones and heaven forbid I'm spending 600 smack-a-roos on the iPhone, as much I a love ya Apple (if I need to check my email and surf the web, this is where my nice 3 pound 12" inch laptop comes into play) and "Pay as you Go" phones. I have the Motorola Razr v3 (thanks to my sweetie pie) and it's cool. It's slender and it fits nicely in my pocket. But I have a couple of issues with it...

I'm always hitting the buttons on the side of the phone. At first this was annoying me big time until I finally broke down and got into the habit now of each time I finish talking I lock my keys. This is a good habit to get into because it saves on battery life, accidental dial outs or as some people call it, "butt dialing", and as with the Razr, the buttons on the right side controls the ringing process (i.e. ring, vibrate, silent)

Setting the ring tones is a pain: What I mean by this is with my Samsung, or Nokia when you set your phone for vibrate it sets everything for vibrate instead of ringing. Not the Razr, even if your phone is set for Vibrate if you have individual ring tones for different contacts your phone will still ring and if I set the phone for Silent the display is so faint if the phone is sitting flat you may miss a call.
Solution: I bought a card holder from Office Depot(take a picture of your card holder without and with your phone inside the holder) which was only about 4 bucks. By the Razr sleekness it fit right inside of the card holder and the slant is perfect for say I can see the display to the phone if I have it set for Silent.

Another cool tip: the plus side to the ring tones for the Razr is that it has a ring tone called "Chime low" (which I use this ringtone for my wife and "Chord low" for my geek brother Luis). These tunes are cool setting, especially at work because even if you walk away from your desk and your phone rings the sound is very low and will not disturb your coworkers around you. ^_^

To be honest I'm getting tired the flip phones period. I believe Nokia at this moment make block phones but my provider is Sprint so that's no good for me. AT&T (Cingular) I believe only carry Nokia phones. I was going to jump ship and head to Cingular but I hear the customer service is just as bad as Sprint. I was thinking maybe I can find a Motorola Slvr on eBay or maybe order it from Motorola itself but then I have to worry about fighting with Sprint to see if they would activate for me. Remember when companies actually used cater to the customers? Now you have to go to war with these cell phone companies to get good service. I could resort to what John C. Dvorak does and just begin using disposable cell phones. Cingular has a pretty cool looking candy bar phone and I think it's made by Motorola.

To me the cell phone companies are the new Pimps of the 21st Century. Promise you the moon and then set you out there on your own and we are bringing our hard earned money to our Sugar Daddies. Something gotta change.

No comments: