Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Why My Next iPod Will Be a 4th Generation


I really do not like iTunes 7. I do not wish to use the word "Hate" because that is truly an ugly word. Why can't companies leave some interfaces alone and just work "behind" the scenes. I really liked iTunes 6 because of how each Genre was listed, especially the podcast. With iTunes 6 it made it so simple to see each podcast and make my playlist but with 7 you have to click the arrow in order to see each podcast you have in each section and that I do not like. Don't get me wrong, iTunes is a cool little tool but sometimes Steve Jobs can be a "control freak" times 10. I have a mini iPod (which I truly love...I like the weight of it, the size of it, and why on the Nano iPods they put the earphone on the bottom of this mp3 player...what gives!?! I'm not parting with my mini iPod and if it ever goes out I'm going on eBay or Amazon.com to buy another one). I also have a 3 Generation iPod and the battery life on this thing is not so good compared to my 5th generation iPod but one thing it has over my 80GB iPod is this...it works with iTunes 6.

Another reason for my choice for a 4th Generation iPod is the iTunes 7 sets up podcast when it comes to how your podcast play on the iPod. It took me a very long time to set up my podcast to play one after another(at first my podcast would only play one podcast, stop my iPod and I would have to scroll down and push play to begin another podcast). I did not have this problem in iTunes 6 but in iTunes there is a setting where you have to dig inside the iTunes 7 and set it where your podcast will play one after another, which is a pain. Why Apple added this feature is beyond me. I had to go to an Apple Store in order to see how to set my iPod in order to resolve this problem. To hear the Apple employee explain why this feature was added was really sad and humorous at the same time. In all honesty I believe deep down he knew this feature was stupid on Apple's part but could not say this because...he works for Apple.

I wonder did Apple do a world wide survey to see if people was having trouble with iTunes 6 or did they want a different interface when it came to iTunes, knowing Steve...no. Steve's motto is "If I want people opinions, I will beat it out of 'em" and that's a shame. I recently read a article on Cnet and one person also said they do not like iTunes 7 and it made me a happy camper because at least I wasn't the only one who feels the same way.

Another thing I am coming to the realization is that even though I can watch video on my iPod or have cables(which I have) that I can watch the videos on our television if I wish but I rarely do this. I was listening to MacBreak Weekly (which by the way was a great show...I am finding myself digging MacBreak Weekly more and more)and Scott Bourne said something that was really funny and very true...he recently bought several iPhones and he said watching video on the iPhone compared to the video iPod what was he thinking when he bought the video iPod? I don't know if he was serious but he mentioned about going on eBay to get rid of his video iPod and I can relate to that in some way. I'm kind of thinking the same thing now. So I think the next iPod I will seek will be a 4th Generation iPod. While scrolling through Amazon.com I noticed that the iPods really hold their value so to me that is a good thing. I believe that is just a photo iPod which is cool but I want this iPod because I believe it will work with iTunes 6.

Some people like iTunes 7 but I don't. I have said this numerous of times but the geekier I become the less "eye candy" I need. I love Apple products but even with Apple they need to learn sometimes to leave well enough alone. Hopefully next week I will head to the Apple store and have my battery replaced in my mini iPod and that will truly be a joy for me because with 6gigs that is perfect for my podcasts. In a nutshell, I'm happy with my iPods but not the tool I have to use.

to download older version of iTunes you can go here

little Windows info...

internet-nexus.com(Paul Thuerott's blog)
ideas.live.com(if you are brave enough to try beta products for Windows)
www.getlive.com

I am really hooked on Windows Weekly with Paul Thurott and Leo Laporte. I have been looking for links to add to my blog for Windows and for now these will have to do. (It's amazing I can find a ba-gillion sites for Apple and not for Windows)
.

No comments: